Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunday 85 miles

So what happened today.

First off we had a short test for the immunity pump. Scott Bailey was the winner. Prior to starting the ride the pump was shown to the group. Keith had added a water bottle cage to it along with a can of Cools Light the official beer of the Scott and BR Show. One of these times I'm going to have immunity.

Now to the ride. I didn't take picture today or carry the helmet cam. By the way the helmet cam I'm using is from Oregon Scientific the ATC2K. It's all self contained, uses an SD card and two AA batteries. It's not to heavy but I decided I should be focused on cycling today and not picture taking.

The ride was a 85 mile route heading North to Oceanside, inland to Fallbrook with a loop and then back to Fletcher Cove our starting point. We went out at a nice easy pace today and kept it within 22 MPH for the first 25 miles or so. But as we turned to head east I could already feel the heat starting to rise. The day prior with Trek we had seen 95 plus temperatures at around the same time, 9:00 AM.

As we hit some hills I could tell I was going to suffer today. After yesterdays ride of 65 miles and almost 4000 feet of climbing I tried to drink and eat as much water and and food as I could. That would be key to staying with Group 2 but there were a lot of moments I was thinking..."why didn't I ride with group 3?"

As we stopped to refuel at the rest areas it was obvious I wasn't the only one feeling it today. It was a hard ride for all but structured with that purpose in mind. This following week is a time to rest and recover as we get ready for another 3 weeks of hard training. Good thing I'm traveling this upcoming week.

I'm glad I'm putting in extra mileage on Saturdays. It's actually preparing my body for the event ride in Oct which will have back to back days on the road. Now I understand the intensity won't be as high but still...you have to prepare for that.

So the end result was 85 miles, 3400 feet of climbing, fun ride and...I made it with Group 2. Oh, I took the sprint at the end but I don't think anyone wanted to contest it.

No comments: