Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sun QMDC Ride

Sunday - After my Saturday rides I always think I'm just going to be too blown to ride with Group 2 on Sunday. But...each Sunday morning I feel pretty good and roll with them and by the end am glad I did.

First, we had immunity which I really liked today. Why...? It was simple. Jim, winner from last year, gave each of us playing cards. On one was written immunity. The person who received that card had to then give it away. Nina was the winner and she gave it to MoMo. For me this was more with the spirit of this program, giving away something you may want to keep. I like that.

Scott had added a little picture frame to the Immunity Pump which showed pictures of CAF people. Great idea. I'm curious as to what MoMo will add to the pump this week. Maybe a woman's touch...?

I caught a photo of Fred and his hand cycle this morning. What a great guy with a powerful spirit. Each week he and Dale ride the same route we do using their arms. It's almost impossible to fathom how, but they do.

Prior to starting I had a few questions asking where the helmet cam was. OK...I guess I need to have it next week.

The ride was out the 56 bike path, up Scripps Poway Parkway, left on 67 to Ramona, left on Highland Valley which pops out near the 15 and Pomerado. The rest...Rancho Bernardo, Fairbanks Ranch and past Del Mar Race Track to Fletcher Cove a total of 73 miles.

Towards the end we came across Bruno from Group 1 and Summer. Bruno was struggling with a flat tire. After 20 minutes and help from our group we had him back on the road. He offered, and we excepted, to pull all the way back which was about 10 miles or so. (I love a good draft) The challenge, Bruno is a powerful rider who can keep a pace at 27 MPH which is great if you are in Group 1. However we were soon spitting out the back, others from our group who were already spent from all the climbing, close to 4000 feet. That's one of the reasons Bruno rides with Group 1. Still...it was a fun and fast return which about 4 or 5 of us really appreciated. How I hung on I don't know but...thanks Bruno.

In the parking lot I put on a T-shirt I made this week which I had hoped Scott Kaplan from the Scott & BR Show would see. I had ironed on the front the CAF logo and on the back his show logo with this note: I Only Listen To The Scott & BR Show When I Turn On AM Radio. He can see it next week.

Great ride, lots of fun and actually I don't feel that bad but I'm tired. Guess I'll take the day off tomorrow.

No comments: