Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sat Trek


Saturday Trek Ride - On Sat I met with the Trek riders out in Rancho San Diego an area we have ridden before. Today's ride consisted of the Great Western plus 20 miles which comes to a total of 70 miles.

I've explained the Great Western in previous blogs so I won't go into too much detail there. The day started with some over cast and in the low 80s but by the time we reached the base of the first climb 15 miles later, the sun had come out. The rest of the day is a climbing festival in mid 90 heat. Total for the day was close to 6000 feet.

Prior to started we had gone over some pointers and the one I emphasized was drinking and eating every 15 minutes. I think this week everyone pretty much it to heart and kept topped off as much as possible.

I myself came out a bit short on food but fortunately found $5 on the route. At the next stop I put it too good use and purchased some crackers and chips. Glad I did. I thought I had my big flask of gue but it was staying cold back in the car.

When Brent Smith and I got back to the parking lot we immediately hopped into our cars to check how others were fairing. Surprisingly everyone was doing very well. At our last stop two girls had already called for a ride back so they were covered.

One of the skills we hope to instill with this program is the ability to help yourself. This means carrying a cell phone, plenty of water, food or some place to stop and refuel when needed. We also tell everyone what the route is like, how much climbing and provide several ways out in case it's just too much that day. When we have 60 to 70 people showing up for rides it's difficult to keep an eye on them all. I would say we are doing a good job with this group and they will be ready for the Poway Century in Oct.

No comments: