Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Tues and Wed Workout

Tuesday night I did a garage workout using one of the videos I like call Spinervals with Coach Troy Jacobson. This was the first workout video I put into my collection. It's not a super hard or long training video, only 40 minutes, but it has elements that get my heart rate up. For me, it's always easier to train when there is structure and this is one way to find that structure but it's not the only video I use. I have a selection from Chris Carmichael, Lance Armstrong's coach, other Spinerval DVDs, and just Tour de France videos. With the TV/DVD/VCR and my training bike setup in the garage there's no wasted time in preparation. I jump on my bike and train any time I need to.

Wednesday morning was CAF SPIN class at the La Jolla Sport Club. I always look forward to this part of the training. It's short but has huge intensity. The instructor makes all the difference and ours, Chris, knows how to push us. Today we focused more on climbing with 20 minutes of big gear pushing both standing and sitting. What makes this different from my garage sessions is that there is almost no recovery time where my heart rate returns to below 75% of my max heart rate. In the Spinerval sessions there are rests of up to 2 minutes and in Chris Carmichael up to 10 minutes.

Attending today's class was Brent and Scott from the Radio contest. Mike, the Qualcomm Lottery winner was there and is a regular. After our Sunday hills session he went out and played hockey on Monday night, two sessions. He said he felt strong which means we're all getting into better shape. This Thursday night more hill repeats up Torrey. Must be a week to work on strength.

No comments: