Sunday, July 27, 2008

Kitchen Creek Ride

Climbing...something we all need to work on and today we had a perfect opportunity. Because there was triathlon event at our normal starting point for CAF in we met about an hour East of San Diego in Pine Valley. The ride is call Kitchen Creek with 57 miles and over 4700 feet of ascending.


Before we began there was the challenge for immunity. This week instead of a written test we were going to see who could stand on their bike the longest without moving (this is referred to as a track stand seen at the Velodrome) Todd was the only person who could perform this maneuver so we all agreed he should have immunity. The video clip is of the immunity pump which is being decorated by the weekly winner.

Right out of town we start to climb. The next video is of Scott Kaplan from the Scott and BR show. Even after being off his bike for a few weeks he was riding strong today.

After the first climb I along with a few others picked up speed on the down hill and so much so that we caught group 1. But soon I realized that I was better off conserving my energy at the beginning because it was going to be a hard day in the saddle.

Climbing is not my best skill but I can hang. I spent a good chunk of the ride by myself which I don't mind. It allows me to get into a rhythm and just grind. The views are spectacular on this route and at the pace of 5 to 10 MPH there is plenty of time to take it in.

The last 25 miles I rode with Todd, another radio contestant, who was struggling some with cramps. Todd is such a strong rider. Last year he completed RAAM, Ride Across America, with a small team of 5 riders. Very impressive.

It was interesting to ride with him and learn more about his background and family. He's been married for 13 years and has two wonderful daughters.

This event provides an opportunity to help others and there is an end result of a winner for the radio program. But it's also about the journey along the way and the people you meet like Todd.

Great day, good ride, wonderful people doing something for others. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a Sunday morning.

No comments: