Saturday, July 19, 2008

Friday and Saturday


Friday is my day off. It's sometimes hard to take a break from riding but it's an important aspect of the process and needed in order to recover.

Saturday I train the Trek people. This week we had a ride up the coast from the top of Torrey to Oceanside and back. I estimate that we had 75 people show up for todays ride. We complete close to 50 miles and are mid way in our preparation for the Tour de Poway Century in the first week of Oct.

A lot of people will ask me why I volunteer with Trek and my answer is because I like helping others learn about cycling. We teach riding skills, nutrition, and provide a group to ride with on a regular basis. We vary the routes but incorporate, as much as possible, portions of the Poway Century ride.

The owner, Mike Olson and general manager, Brent Smith, wanted to promote bikes as a life style. Over the last 2 years this program has grown from 35 people on average to the 75 we have today and each week we have 5 to 15 new people sign up. I'm just proud to be a part of it.

Tomorrow, CAF QMDC ride but we are on our week where we reduce the mileage and intensity. I want to get some pictures and video to post.

No comments: