Monday, July 28, 2008

Hit My 1st Goal...

Goals are important in life if you want to improve. The Challenged Athletes Foundation put a goal out there of $5,000 by the end of July. With huge amounts of support from family and friends I not only met that goal but exceeded it with a few days remaining in the month. I am currently standing at $5400. Thanks to all those who have provided funding. The next step is $7500 by the end of Aug and $10,000 by the end of Sept.

I've had some people asking me why am I fund raising if I'm a part of the Radio Contest that XX1090 is putting on? (Click here to link to Scott and BR XX1090) If I win won't I get a free ride and not have to fund raise?

It's true...this all started when I was select to be 1 of 30 people to compete for that one spot. Sixteen people have already been eliminated and each week going forward one more person will fall from grace. However, I soon realized that I wanted to be a part of the bigger solution with CAF. When you see some of these guys and gals out riding, running or participating in some other activity with just one leg or arm, how can you not say, "I need to do more"?

All my life I have been raising funds for different organizations. I started when I was six with walk-a-thons, ride-a-thons and swim-a-thons. In those days it was a sponsorship of pennies, nickels and dimes for every block, mile and lap completed in a given amount of time. I would go door to door in the neighborhood asking people for support and help. The organizations were: MS, Diabetes, Cancer and others. Little did I know that I would have Cancer at age 33 and the funds I had raising might have been the key to saving my own life.

Today this is my way of giving back and each year I look for a program to get behind with a sporting activity. It's a great way to stay active, meet new people and learn about challenges others face in life.

Thanks again for your support and if you haven't had a chance to donate but want to...there is a link just on the left to my fund raising page.

No comments: