Monday, September 1, 2008

Monday...Labor Day

It's Monday and I got a bit behind in updating the blog. What was surprising to me is that people are actually reading it. Many that have made donations and or I talk with during my rides have made comments about it which I really appreciate.

Sunday: Yesterday was a fast paced ride up the coast from Fletcher Cove to San Clemente and back with a total of 82 miles. It was a perfect day for the ride. Nice temperature, a little over cast and good spirits in group 2.

But first...immunity. MoMo had immunity last week and added her touch of class to the immunity pump. There is some more alcohol on his side and a $100 bill in his mouth. MoMo's comment was that it could be used for fund raising if needed.

There was no immunity challenge this week but instead the radio contestants where given a slip of paper and asked to write two names on it of people we think should be eliminated. Now how do you vote...do you write down names of those who could win or of those you think might not make it. Check out The Scott & BR show Tuesday morning between 6:30 and 7:00. If you have Internet access and your office allows it you can tune in via the web connection.

We are half way there to the goal of $1,000,000 in funds for the Qualcomm Million Dollar Challenge. Kayvon brought out a chart which will be updated weekly with our progress as a Team. We really only have a month to make up the remaining amount. (If you plan to support me please send in that donation as soon as possible using the link on the left)

The Ride: I was again feeling a bit of stiffness in my muscles Sunday morning after the Trek ride on Saturday of 75 miles and 4000 feet of climbing. But after a few miles on the road at a medium pace the legs where not so heavy. Many where commenting that they liked the pace today which was averaging 18 to 20 MPH. After entering the Marine base Bryon Black, one of our Group Leaders, puts the hammer down and goes off the front. I have a lot of respect for Bryon. He is an extremely strong time trail rider. Holding his wheel is a challenge for many of us and yet he can pull for hours at top speed of 25 plus MPH.

Now my legs where feeling the love. What I've learned over the years is that if you stay towards the front I often will work less than in the back. Gaps often open in the back which causes a lot more surging which in the end burns up a lot of energy.

By the time we reached our turn around point in San Clemente at the 7-11 many, including myself, where starting to hurt. Here's a shot of Todd Northup. Actually he looks fresh as a daisy.

On the way back there was a small crash as one of riders hit a patch of sand on a corner in the park just south of the nuclear plant. She feel but was uninjured however there was huge gash in her tire. Fortunately someone had a tire boot, a 2 inch piece of tire, to put on top of the tube inside the tire. Old trick but works well.

As we headed back into the Marine base the group broke up some as the pace picked up again. I still had some juice left and pulled a piece in spots and feel back a few times to pace one two riders back into the pack. Bryon has a Time Trail event next weekend at Fiesta Island so I think he was putting the final touches on his training. It was good practice for our group.

Later that day when I got home I took a nap for an hour before a BBQ at a friends house. I woke up swung my legs off the bed and immediately both my hamstrings locked up. Crystal walked in just in time to see me in pain. Not much you can do at that point other than relax. Ouch, haven't had that in while.

Great ride, getting stronger and I'm close to the $10,000 goal at just over $7700. Still can use your help though. Thanks

No comments: