Sunday, September 21, 2008

Century Back to Back..

It's Sunday night and I really shouldn't be posting a Blog about the ride this past weekend but in reality my mind is racing with comments and thoughts so I better or I won't sleep to night.

Saturday- First off I feel bad about this . Normally Saturday's I help with the Trek Century Program as we get ready for the Tour de Poway Oct 5th. Prior to participating in the QMDC I discussed it with Trek and the General Manager, Brent Smith, to let him know I would still keep my commitment with their program. He and Mike Olson, the owner, where very understanding and supportive. This past weekend they road from Peete's off the 56 to Julian and back. That is an epic ride. I really wanted to be there but...I also had the QMDC. Next weekend is the final ride of about 60 miles as we taper for the century. Come on out if you have time. We have a BBQ after.

So this past Saturday we rode from San Diego, Fletcher Cove, to Redondo Beach. 100 miles...not a big deal however, the catch was another 100 miles the following day back to San Diego.

Prior to the start I brought out the surf board that we had made up by Bill Stewart up in San Clemente. We already have bids on the board up to $650. (Shown is a shot of myself and Todd Northup my partner in crime on this event) Check out our event at www.sushi4caf.blogspot.com. This is just one of many items.

We merged Group 1 and Group 2 together for this ride. It was a solid pace at first as we headed up the coast and then there was a flat and another flat and another flat all within the first 20 miles. This slowed it down some as all the groups passed us.

I think we took the lead again just after the park up near San Clemente. From there to Anaheim the roads were familiar. It was a perfect day for a ride, cool, a bit over cast and great company. A few of us were taking pulls on the front and the Ride Leaders where ensuring that we didn't get out line.

The SAG stop was out of this world with sandwiches, drinks and all the other essentials. For some reason at 59 miles real food just tastes so much better than a gue or a cycling bar. I think I had two. They were so good. Dan Plummer, Wheels on Wheels, has done a fantastic job in this program. It is top shelf support with a mechanic, food, drink and a vehicle ride if needed.

After Long Beach it was a new ride for me. We headed into a neighborhood that was near the docks. There were 3 over passes that I swear felt as if the road just lifted itself up as we headed over them. Todd Northup commented that it felt like the draw bridge was lift but it was due to the wind at the top.

Once we were within about 15 miles of Redondo we had a...climb. It wasn't steep but it was long. We stopped at the 7-11 to fill bottles at the base and we were glad we did. I drank both of mine by the time we got to the hotel.

We pushed up that hill and the next and the next. It was stair step effect to the top but when you have never ridden in an area you don't know how much to put out but since we were so close I think everyone put it all out there. Finally we topped out and had a great view of the ocean before dropping down to sea level.

Crystal met me at the hotel and I was so glad she could come up for the night. With her travel, my work, Trek and QMD we don't often have time to see each other. The view from our room was spectacular. I had pre-ordered a massage for both of us and more than glad I did. I almost feel asleep during mine.

We then met up with the gang in the lobby at 6:00 and walked over to the Cheese Cake Factory. It was a busy night for them. Crystal and I grabbed a small table outside and Todd joined us. The pasta I had hit the spot and we all shared a cheese cake with apple, caramel and other sugary stuff. I was a sleep by 8:30 PM.

Sunday, Sept 21st, 2008 - Today is a very special day...it's my birthday and I'm proud to say I'm 49 and not even half way there. I plan to live until I'm 110. Anything beyond that is grace.

I let Crystal sleep in, ate left over pasta in the room, went down to the lobby and hooked up with Todd and Mike for breakfast. Had additional food, went out to the parking lot and by 7:00 AM we were rolling to San Diego.

The pace was solid but the wind gods where against us. We were riding into a serious head wind but still averaging on the flats at least 22 MPH. Bryan took point a lot at first and pulled the team along. A few of us shared that position but not for long.

The hills are where I felt it the most. I could pull on the flats but was loosing power on the hills as the lactic acid built up in my thighs.

The group split at some point but we reconnect in the park where they had a sign up for my birthday. Mike Howard, a rider I hadn't met, was standing in the shade and said, "...who is Mike and is it his birthday."

By the time we made it to the other end of the marine base everyone, including the Ride Leaders, where feeling the miles. Pace was strong but not over the top. I plowed up a few hills but the burn was....so good?

Back to back 100 mile rides are an experience. Once you've wrapped your mind around it the next one's are easy. Great time and had a wonderful ride. I'm looking forward to our event ride.

1 comment:

tynk07 said...

MoMo and I are happy you liked your sign... We thought a surprise sign at the SAG, would be good.