Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sat and Sun rides

Sunday: After yesterdays ride for some reason I was a bit tired today but part of that may have been to the lack of sleep. With our event coming up on Monday night my mind was racing thinking about the details. Todd and I have been calling each other more than what is normal for most men and our wives are starting to ask questions. So many little things need to be done.

The ride was supposed to be 77 miles but a few of us separated towards the end and got off course. I had tried to download the course to my Garmin 705 in the morning but I kept receiving errors. Not too much a problem. I can always find my way to the ocean.

Mari merged groups 1 and 2 again. I hung towards the front like normal but found that was a mistake. We had a split in Carlsbad which really turned into a group 1 ride. The pace was fast but up to this point flat. Once we hit the road again after our first SAG at 30 miles the pace really picked up with JJ on the front. I even heard Mike, one of our Ride Leaders, say that we were in for trouble now. That's when I decided I would drop off and connect to the group behind. Keven Davenport from the radio contest, also dropped back. Keyvon decided it was too much as well but he had ridden 105 miles and over 9000 feet the day before.

There was one small accident. Kevin lost focus for a moment and hit the back of a wheel. I was right behind him and it looked like he then jumped off his bike and wrapped his arms around a telephone pole giving it a hug. We were going about 15 MPH at that point and by the time I stopped and looked back he was up saying, "I'm OK" We checked him over and not a scratch on him. Looked worse than it was.

The last 10 miles I was beat. I hadn't been keeping up on my fluids and that is always a killer. I connected with Keyvon and Artic Mike. We shared some nice pacing back to Fletcher Cove. Now I had to finish preparations for the Sushi Silent Auction.

Saturday:
It was kind of a sad and happy day for me. This was the last ride of the Trek Poway Century Training program before the Powey Century Ride next Sunday, Oct 5th. Brent and I decided to split the ride into two groups one riding 50 miles and the other 65. This would allow everyone to return at about the same time 12:30. It actually worked.

Colleen Olson was a huge help and brought all the food to the BBQ we had planned for after the ride. Mike Olson, the owner of Trek San Diego, was flipping burgers. It was great fun. Brent had made up some plaques for the ride guides and he passed out some nice comments. Brent is the unsung hero in all this. He works tirelessly to ensure its a great program every time.

It has been a fantastic program and we are fortunate to have a wonderful bunch of people to ride with here in San Diego. Next Sun is the Poway ride. Come on out and get some miles in.

No comments: