Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Looking for Inspiration?

I think we all wonder around in life with our day to day activities and don't realize how blessed we are.  I know I get up in the morning, eat my breakfast, let the dogs out, check my email to see if someone is offering me a job, and continue on to the next task grumbling at times and frustrated.  What I don't do often enough is be thankful for the things I have that are here right now in my little world.

Recently someone sent me this link to a YouTube video for Nick Vujicic who's pictured on the right.  Just click on his name and you'll be taken to the video.  Wow, doesn't that just blow you away.  Look at the energy oozing from him.  And the things he can do.  Again, WOW.

Here's another one.  Ezra Frech is just 4 years old.  Now you might ask what can a 4 year old teach me about life.  Watch his YouTube video and then tell me what you think.  What challenges do you have today that's bigger than his?  Can you pick yourself up after being knocked down, smile back at the world and turn it into a positive?

I'm trying to take a moment in my life each day to turn around and look at what I have.  I'm healthy, I've been married to a wonder woman for 24 years, I have a roof over my head, two fantastic dogs and all my faculties  (I think).  I certainly don't have anything to complain about.

Those days when I'm frustrated because I'm still looking for employment I'm going to remember to bring up these videos and see that life isn't that bad.  Videos like these are designed to draw inspiration from and we should use them to help keep us focused.

I've also found that if I reach out and help others I tend not to fall back into a world of self pity or as my mom used to refer to it, ".. navel gazing".  That's where you sit in your room and have a pity party with yourself saying why me, why me while you stare at your belly button.  So I spend my weekends helping others train for events with the Challenged Athletes Foundation and Trek.  There's something empowering about that sense of accomplishment when I've had a group finish a long bicycle ride or helped them learned a new skill.  Just that smile on their face is enough.

So from now on or as often as I can make myself do it, I plan to keep a smile on my face, hold a positive attitude and remember that my life is not that bad and pretty darn special.  There are plenty out there who have over come much more than I have but they are fantastic examples for working just a little bit harder.

No comments: