Monday, October 5, 2009

Final Long Ride


Sunday, Oct 4th - This week was the final long ride we have before our adventure from San Francisco to San Diego. We did a 92 mile route up and into Fallbrook, CA from Solana Beach. We put in a lot of climbing on this ride. Well over 5500 feet with some spots tipping up to 14% grade.
I rode with Group 3 again which has been where I've been needed the most. We started with at least 30 people but by the end it was down to 23 or so. Those that dropped off had other family plans for the day and couldn't make the entire ride.

Most of the remaining radio people made the ride. Adam, Alex, Brian, Rob, Rob, Joe, Pat (he brought a friend Mike), and Mark. Pictured here is myself and Brian. Just to the right of Brian is Walt another regular participant.

This week the final winner of the radio contest will be announced but in my mind they are all winners. The group as a whole has raised over $50,000 for CAF. They've shown what team work is all about and banded together helping each other. They have also gone above and beyond to promote CAF, QMDC and XX1090. Looks like at least 7 will make the ride. There are no losers in this group.
Our Ride Leader event was a huge success. Close to 100 people showed, the food from the Taco Guy and O'Brothers was out of this world and Erin from Jer's was on hand providing chocolate samples. The Silent Auction brought in a lot. Many items went for well over what we estimated they would go for. All said and done the event gained us $10,000. After expenses we think it's closer to $8K but we're still awaiting the answer on that.
This year has been a totally different experience for me and I am thankful for it. Coordinating the radio aspects has challenged and taught me a lot of lessons. I spent the first 5 or 6 weeks focused on that. I then moved more into the Ride Leader roll which I was more comfortable with. All my time with other organizations including Trek has provided some valuable skills in that respect.

One more ride and then down the coast. It's been a journey and it ain't over yet.

No comments: