Friday, October 30, 2009

20 Weeks with CAF


Friday, Oct 30th - I've been back from our ride down the coast for over a week now. It's about time to update this blog.

What an experience! I'm not sure I can justify with my piddly use of the English language what this whole ordeal was like. 7 days on the road with like minded people with huge smiles plastered across their faces is hard to explain. Each sunrise brought with it a new city and different perspective of the California coast. Here, let me try and provide you my view of it.

The first 3 days started out damp as we drove our bikes into thick fog usually subsiding around 10 AM. Fog horns where blowing as we left San Francisco our first day. I just put my sunglasses on my helmet after 5 minutes for the first 3 hours in the saddle on days like that. I just couldn't make out the road well enough with rain drops on the lenses and with 1 inch of rubber between me and slippery roads...I need to see whats coming.

The rest of the mornings were usually a nice ride into cool weather. Each day seemed to raise the temperature 2 or 3 degrees. By the end, we didn't need any arm or knee warms at all. It was a good thing I packed those mittens.

I connected with several challenged athletes, Chris Self and Josh Sharpe, but to call them challenged is a misconception. Each lives a very accomplished life. Chris is missing his leg below the knee. He struggled with our California hills but day after day I saw him get stronger. He's still in the Military, Army Special Forces (Be all you can Be) after 24 years and is going for 30. He's getting deployed again in a few months. Hasn't he done enough for king and country? (that's him adjusting his prosthetic leg along with Mark and Andy two other challenged athletes)

Josh has no use of his legs below the waist and tackles the road with a hand cycle. Over the years he's completed many events including one recently in Alaska. From what I could gather he rode (on and off road) with a hand cycle, rafted, and paddled during this adventure event. I had the privilege to be his guide on two different days. He can cruise at 15 to 18 MPH and I can't even catch him on the down hills. That low profile is the key to his speed.

Each night we stayed at a fantastic hotel except in Big Sur. There we were in a really nice lodge. That night I shared a room with 3 other guys and one was the photographer. He had the light on in our open area most of the night where 3 of use slept. Good thing I brought those Hollywood blinders and ear plugs. The other nights I was rooming with Mike (The Colonel) Hower, a retired Marine. Oh, I'm sorry, once a Marine, always a Marine. Great guy and one of the other Mikes in Group 3. Doc Mike is the last Ride Leader and doctor for our event.

The added responsibilities of a Ride Leader made me a pretty worn out puppy by the end of each day. I tried to hit the bed as soon as possible which normally was 8:30 or 9:00 PM. Each morning I was up at 5:30 AM to attend to luggage. Part of our Ride Leader responsibilities was to load up the luggage trucks. That's about 300 pieces to lift and stack. Before I turned a pedal I had already burned a half a days worth of calories.

Almost every day I had an opportunity to assist someone with a flat and then draft them back to their group or regrouping point. Nothing like pushing the wind. Don't get me wrong, I was glad to do it and actually liked being able to help others.

There were a lot of great stories and far too many to even try and mention here. But it was 20 weeks of pure joy and 1 week of fun down the coast. Will I do it again...possibly, most likely, yep. First I need to check with my better half and see what our plans are for next year.

Thanks for your support.

No comments: