Monday, August 31, 2009

Fund Raising, TT, and Short Ride

Sunday, Aug 30th - We are just over 7 weeks away from our ride from San Francisco to San Diego which will commence on Saturday Oct 17th and end on Friday, Oct 23rd. Obviously this whole thing about creating awareness for CAF and raising funds. The picture on the right depicts the where we are at this point which is just a little over $500,000 or more than half way to our goal. If you haven't already, please take a moment and make a donation and or attend one of the many wonderful events being put on to raise funds.


We, the Ride Leaders, are hosting an event on Oct 1st with the theme of Rendezvous in the Ranch. There will be wonderful food, wine, beer, silent auction, raffle, 50/50 drawing, etc. Rumor has it that some special guests will be in attendance who are well know cyclists and won the Tour de France...can't say any more than that. Tickets are $40 for 1 or $70 for 2. Preregister at http://qmdc.kintera.org/rancho.


For the radio contestants this Sunday we had another Immunity Quiz which was to name all the cities we will be staying in on our ride down the coast this coming Oct. And the winner was...Adam Beck. He was the only contestant who got all the locations. This might have been in part because he did this ride a few months ago after raising funds for the Livestrong organization. Adam is a testicular cancer survivor with a huge heart, strong legs and determination. Check out his blog and see what he is doing to raise funds for this event. He has a BBQ Island he is having a drawing for, putting on a poker run and is working with Joy and her Beer Bash. http://qmdcbeck.blogspot.com/



TT is a Time Trail which can be any length and cover a number of courses. A good local TT is Torrey Pines which we did at the beginning of this training. Not as many people showed up, around 28, but that's OK. This week is suppose to be a time in our training to take it down a notch, let your body recover before we increase the intensity again.


Alex Hamlow came out to ride this short course with us this week which was a huge surprise. He was the one who crashed on Palomar Mountain about 6 weeks ago. He's been stationary training for the last 3 or 4 weeks and this was one of his first road rides. He posted an impressive 6:53 for his time. Under 7 minutes is cooking. Joe Y-Can-Not posted the best time at 6:15.

After we had short ride up the coast for a total of 25 miles. It was a beautiful day. As I was chatting with people there were a lot of plans of heading to beach with family before school starts this week.


This week 2 more people will be eliminated from the contest with 6 remaining. The announcement should be on Wed between 6:15 and 6:45 AM on the Scott and BR Show. You can listen on AM XX1090 or catch it via the Internet.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Mike,

The vest is a stacool vest. Most cooling vests work by the same mechanism, the only difference is the material used to provide cooling & how long they last. My body was definately cool where the vest was touching me, but I was hot everywhere else & my core temp was rising. My body just doesn't redistribute heat very well.

On my sunday rides when I have the fan & water sponge down, my legs will be icy from the fan, but the rest of me can be way too hot.

The vest may still work on the road when I have a bit of the breeze. If not, then we'll move onto an active cooling system.

-Rachel

mikecrystal said...

Finding the right equipment can be hard and it surely is different from stationary to road. I use a sweat band (sweat gutr) to keep my intensive, salty sweat out of my eyes when riding outside. However, I've found it doesn't help any when I'm stationary training. Mostly I have to use a fan directly on me. I too heat up and have a hard time riding in 95 plus weather but I'm sure not anything like what you have to deal with.

Mike H
San Diego, CA