Thursday, October 9, 2008

Final Days...

Thursday: We are into the final days prior to leaving on this epic adventure. Tuesday night we had packet pickup at the local Trek store, www.treksandiego.com. Mike Olson and Brent Smith were on hand meeting and greeting the riders along with the QMDC staff. Kristine and Kris had modified the Jersey some to give it a more feminine touch.

At home I started to reflect some on the past months as I was pulling out items I might need on this ride like full fingered gloves. (You never can tell what the weather will be like on this route)

The months have passed quickly and I've realized that I'm not the same person I was when this started back on June 8th. Four months goes by so fast. I remember standing in the parking lot trying to imagine what this would be like. I could see all kinds of people starting to show up and I felt kind of out of place. It was the first day of school and I was the new kid who had just moved into the neighborhood.

Within minutes some of those feelings left as we all signed in, picked up our jersey and gathered to hear from CAF staff and others. Next thing I know we are laughing and clapping for each other. That fear that this would be a survivor episode with all the cut throat tactics left immediately. New names and faces. How will I remember everyone?

Our first ride was a short 33 mile up the coast. Along the way there was a camera man taking pictures. It was a friendly ride and a chance to chat with others. I asked Jim Carbaugh how he won last year. He said, "I don't know".

As the weeks pasted and the miles built up I remember something Jim told me when we had stopped on Camp Pendleton to assist someone with a flat. He said, "...you're doing the right things". At times I had forgotten I was part of a radio contest with XX1090. In my mind there was an event ride in Oct and we as a group needed to train and get ready. If someone had a flat, it always goes faster if we pitch in and help.

I didn't know that much about CAF but quickly learned how it started 15 years ago and what we were raising funds for, physically disable people. Ok now I have a purpose. In the second week I signed up to start raising money. My wife Crystal later told me she secretly thought, how in the heck is he going to raise $10,000. But to me she said, "I'll support you 100%", and she did.

As I started to get the word out the funds slowly came in. I started this blog and soon people were calling and emailing me. I was training, blogging, working, eating, sleeping, and trying to spend some time with Crystal and the dogs. Each day had to be scripted just right in order to make every minute count. In my everyday job my numbers were looking pretty good. I was thinking clearer and seemed to be a bit more insightful.

I had never put on an event as large as the Sushi Silent Auction before. Looking back I don't think Todd Northup and I realized the complexity or the amount of time it would take but we were fortunate that our paths had crossed. We complimented each others skills and took advantage of each others strengths resulting in over $7000 from this event. This ensured we both would be at the start line in San Francisco come Oct 18th.

So what's left...the radio contest. That added another element in my life of excitement, tension, curiosity, and wonder. Scott Kaplan introduced us all to something new and challenged us each week to learn more about XX1090, CAF and QMDC. And even in that process there was a level of sensitivity found for the radio contestants as each week another person was eliminated. Instead of a gap being created those that remained became closer. Emotions ran strong and Scott had purposely tried to separate himself from the contestants as much as he could. But in reality, I don't think it was possible.

The last brush stroke of this picture is the announcement of the radio contest winner which comes down to myself or Nina. It's been put on hold but for good reason...life. A very close relative, Scott Kaplan's cousin, was killed last weekend when he was hit by a vehicle while training for this very event in AZ. We have to take a step back and realize that life is precious and hold it tight while we have the chance. If we lost it all we would still have family and friends. When someone passes we have an opportunity to reflect on their life and our own. I never want to take what I have for granted and am thankful each day for my second chance at living.

The real winner in the end isn't Nina or me...it's those we have been raising funds for CAF. If we can add one more dollar then it will go a long way to helping someone else find that spirit we all crave when we are challenged to reach beyond our previous experiences.

Finding ways to help others was something I truly thought would be the basis of my campaign but the end result was that I've gained more and grown as a person. I guess I owe that to CAF, QMDC and XX1090 where it all started...Thank You.

No comments: