Thursday, October 23, 2008

Day 6...Cruising to Newport Beach

Thursday: Today is an easy ride down the coast of 56 miles. We've done a portion of this when we rode from San Diego to Redondo Beach and back covering 200 miles in one weekend. There is a hill in the middle of our ride but compared to what we've seen so far, it's only a bump in the rode. I must of eaten an extra bowl of cereal because at one point I was pacing the group up a portion of that climb at 20 plus MPH.

Someone decorated Greg's bike, one of our ride leaders with a basket before our start this morning. It's looks so cute. He's a big strapping marine but has a huge sense of humor.

We rode along the boardwalk as we headed out of Santa Monica. The sun was just coming up and there wasn't much of a wind. Lots of people out walking, skating or riding the path. We had a pretty good size group as well, well over 20 people. The plan for some of us was to stop at a taco stand we had seen on that Redondo trip. Bryan Black, another group leader, saw it and some of us stopped.

They were just opening up at 11:00. Oh, we didn't hit the road today until 9:30. Didn't want to get to the next hotel too soon.

We all ordered Cokes, water and they brought out chips with salsa. I ordered the shrimp and other had fish tacos and various mex dishes. Good food at great prices. The girl serving us didn't speak any English but that didn't seem to matter. She took a picture with us anyway.

We also passed West Coast Chopper and the home of Jesse James. He wasn't in to customize a bike for us but we did get a picture or two of his shop. I was really looking forward to adding a banana seat to my ride with a cool paint job.

We picked up the pace some in Long Beach, Hunington Beach and other areas where it was open and we had a nice bike lane. But I think everyone was feeling those miles in their legs.

When we stopped for Tacos pretty much everyone had passed us at that point. Scott Kaplan and his group as well. We yelled as they went by the stand but they weren't interested. I did catch up with him at the hotel. Again his family was in hand. He told me later it was a total surprise that his wife and kids would be up yesterday to cheer him on.

One more day. Tomorrow we head out to La Jolla and will arrive in Kellogg Park, which is really La Jolla Shores, at 1:30 PM. I think the plan is for us all to regroup and ride in together.

I'm looking forward to seeing my wife, getting a big kiss from the dogs and sitting in a chair for a few days before getting back on my rig. Pain, yes, but it's a good pain. I've made new friendships, learned more about CAF, and have a huge amount of respect for the Challenged Athletes who rode this entire ride with us. See you in San Diego.

1 comment:

kate kresse said...

Mike---
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your ride down the coast. I am so very proud of you, and all that you have done. Give Crystal a big hug from me.
Love,
Kate