Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Day 5...86 Miles

Wednesday: Santa Barbara to Santa Monica. Taking a look at today's profile when compared to yesterday and the day before, it was an easy route. Well, at least you would think so. I remember seeing the news last night and the wind direction was NNE. Not exactly in our favor. The wind was in our faces a good chunk of the way.

I lost the group I was with as we weaved our way on and off some bike paths. Thank God for Garmin. It was spot on. When I arrived at the SAG stop I was surprised to see I was the first person but it wasn't long before the group I had been with caught me there. We tried to stay together but the wind was just too strong. I decided to work my own pace.

I took some nice pictures along the way. It was perfect weather to catch some scenery and enjoy the view. Prior to starting I was on the Scott and BR show this morning. Scott was broadcasting from a local radio station. He then jumped on his bike later and rolled down the road. I caught him and his family just as they were heading out of the hotel this evening to meet up with some other family members.

Lunch again was at this spectacular spot along the way. Mile 50 didn't come soon enough with the all the wind we were having. The location made all the difference and I soon forgot about the wind.
I rolled out first but was soon passed. This was a day about pace and recover. The legs still felt heavy. There was plenty of time to stop and snap some shots along the way.
The wind did turn some into our favor at around mile 60 or so just as I headed into some of the little beach towns along the way. So many beautiful little towns. The last 4 or 5 miles was on a bike path which was next to the beach which was next to the ocean. We turned left just after the Santa Monica pier up to our hotel.

Any hotel that leaves a ducky or fish on the tub is my kind of place. I love to take a long hot bath after a ride like today. Everyone needs a little buddy in the tub with them.
Our speaker this evening was, I think, Scout, a young Asian girl who was adopted at the age of 7 from China. She had lived a very hard life the first 7 years in this Asian orphanage after loosing her leg at the age of 1. It brought tears to my eyes because I am also adopted. I don't thank my parents often enough for bringing myself and my brother into their lives.
Two more days of living large on the road. Short ride of 50 miles tomorrow and we are planning a late start of 9:30 or so. I'm going to ride with the Kap (Scott Kaplan). I think I owe him a draft.

No comments: