Thursday, December 8, 2011

TKR Week 4...hows it going?

I'm sure we all have good, better and best days in our daily lives.  Recovery from an operation like Total Knee Replacement will be no different in that regards.  Some days are good, some great and others suck.  Over the last 3 weeks my progress has been stellar and the days have been good.  This past week it was a challenge with pain management and resting so it was sucky but that’s part of the process.

I have to keep in mind that my body is trying to repair itself and just like when you have a cold you need to rest as resources are being used to fight that battle.  I've jumped back into my daily work and activities pretty quickly without putting aside a more time for rest and recovery.  This is talked about a lot in the pre TKR info and should be paid attention to much more as I am learning.

After my first PT session on Monday last week I was very sore especially when the therapist took my bend to 130 degrees.  I always come away from those sessions with a lot of swelling even though we take 15 minutes after and ice it down and use electronics to massage the muscles. 

I took Thursday, non PT day, totally off and even backed down from my office work by spending 90 percent of the day in bed icing the knee and sleeping.  I was just tired and needed to catch up.  That helped.  Friday PT session went very well and we saw 137 degree in the bend.  Keep in mind that this is when my therapist bends and holds the joint.  Bending it on my own I can take it to 125 with little agitation.

My therapist, Todd, added a new exercise to my regiment that was fun.  While balancing on my TKR leg I threw a 5 pound ball at a standing trampoline.  The point is to stay balanced while throwing and catching the ball.  I had little problem with this because I've been brushing my teeth standing on that leg to improve balance.

My favorite strength drill is called monsters.  A band is put around my ankle and I spread my legs out to shoulder width.  I then squat down and take little side steps while still facing forward.  I move the length of the exercise room and back 3 times.  It burns the butt and thigh muscles.

After exercises we stretch and then ice.  At home for stretching I use my body weight  as a way to create force hanging off the bed and the stairs.  I also have a strap to pull the leg/ankle with.  I acquired a balance circle and made a balance board. The circle has half a semi-hard ball attached to it in the center on the underside.  I use this to stretch the ankles and calf's and work on balance.  The balance board is  3 foot long board that I put on a foam roller.  Surfers and skateboards use these to work on balance the strength.

Saturday I went out shopping with my wife to help with some of the things she's been doing while I've been resting.  I over did it some and came home with a pained expression on my face and a swollen knee.  I had get that knee up for the rest of the day, ice it and take the meds.  Sunday I got out and around some but a lot less than the day before. Again, need to remember to let it rest and repair.

I'm proud to announce that I have been asked to help coach the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training program that will start in January.  We will take a team of participants to Tahoe for Americas Most Beautiful Bike Ride (AMBBR) for a 100 mile ride around the like and a side route out to Truckee to complete the Century course in the early part of June.   It's a beautiful ride and I feel privileged to be asked to assist.  As a Cancer Survivor I know the importance of these types of program.  Plus, this helps me work on my recovery goals.

4 comments:

Craig Gabel said...

Mike,

A friend and fellow TNT cyclist sent me a link to your blog. I wish you the best on your recovery and hope to see you in South Lake Tahoe in June. I am a team mentor for the TNT Mid-America Chapter. My wife (Leesa Gabel) and I have participated in the AMBBR with TNT the last two years and have much respect for your TNT chapter (and pretty much all the others across the country for that matter) for the support you've given us. I know you will be a huge inspiration for your team as well as all of us following your story. See you in June...Ride On!

Anonymous said...

Your journey is an inspiration to me as I continue to recover from the TKR I had in August, 2011. My recovery has been challenging to say the least, since my ROM was already severely compromised going into the surgery, although I was (and am) in excellent physical condition thanks to a regular strength training practice and a regular yoga teaching schedule. I ended up needing a manipulation a month after the TKR before I could even begin to get my flexion back. Right now, I am at 120-124 degrees, and am just blown away that you are reaching 130! I was told by my surgeon that the prosthesis is designed to go only to 125. I'm thrilled for you! Thanks to the help of a truly awesome physical therapist, I am making strides every day.

I was directed here by a friend who knows how frustrated I've been with the pace of my recovery. I'll have to thank her for sure!

Good luck with your journey to a full recovery. I will definitely be following!

Paul K A.T.C PES said...

Mike, congrats on being asked to help coach for a great cause it will be very rewarding.
I don't want to put a damper on your rehab/ recovery but most if not all devices used for TKR/TKA are not really ment to be pushed past the 125* range. You can create problems with instability of the knee to have it forcefully pushed to extreems. If you can activly bend to 125* your good to go with your ROM. Strenghting and your balance drills should be your area of concentratrion. I have been rehabing total knees for over 20 years and they have come along way in both materials and surgical tech used and that has really helped the patiens recovery.

I too love the burn and use of "Monster Squats" but make sure you work on keeping tyour I.T. Band stretche out. Its a killer exercise but can really cause ITB problems. Have your Therapist make sure to manualy stretch them to avoid unwanted problems down the road. Probably the number one issue I see with non-surgical knee problems is a tight ITB

Ernie said...

Rest is your friend Mike!

I am very impressed with some of the great advice being given here. It's very reassuring.

To me balance is as important as anything else (especially as I get older). That drill you did was one of my favorites the 1st go round. Well...it became that way after I mastered it. It humbled me often.

I wish you continued success.

Ernie