Monday, July 20, 2009

HOT Ride...

July 19 - This week we took the QMDC participants on an easy flat ride up the coast to San Clemente and back, 75 plus miles. We started at Flower Hill instead of Fletcher Cove and from the start we were experiencing 75 plus degree weather. Reports had indicated it would be hot but with the breeze off the ocean it wouldn't be too bad.
I passed off the Immunity Pump to Joy Muelenbein. She accumulated the most votes from the radio write in. I'm very curious to see what it looks like in a few weeks.
I started with Group 3 with around 40 people. Between myself, Colonel Mike and Doc Mike, we had our hands full. We broke it up some when we hit the Marine base. Unfortunately Mike MacGregor experienced a flat, then another flat, then another flat and 2 more all within less than mile onto the base. We finally had Mike SAGGED off the course. Not sure what the issue was but it happens.
At this point I was with a tandem and we high tailed it to the first stop just on the other side of the base. Nice pace. We caught Group 4 and I stayed with them until a mile short of the turn around when I crossed over and jumped back in with Group 3.
At this point Group 3 was down to 14 people and a few were struggling off the back. It was a hot day and it's difficult to keep enough fluids in no matter how much you drink. I dropped back to help and lost site of the group before leaving the base. Joe, didn't get his last name, was able to keep pace but the hills where hard. He stopped South of Oceanside to let his feet cool down.
I rode on and caught Alan and we rolled in to the start were I thought we would find Group 3 but about 15 minutes later they arrived. Funny, how did that happen? Apparently they took a detour on the base. Oh well, everyone made it back.
Next week, Mount Palomar. Nothing but climbing. Fun.

1 comment:

Rob in Training for QMDC said...

Wow, hard day in the saddle for Group 3. Lesson for the day must have been perseverance!