Saturday, October 8, 2022

Starting Another Journey for myself and Others.

I realized it has been a while since I posted on this sight.  I was hot and heavy with it while living in San Diego and working with CAF (the Challenged Athletes Foundation).  It had a purpose and still does.  It's right in the title, "Find Ways To Help Others".  

First Bike
Maybe if I explained where this comes from it might make more sense as to my purpose.  It started when I was just 10 years old.  I signed up for a, what they called in those days, Bike-A-Thon, for Diabetes in 1969.  Same concept as today, to raise awareness and funds, but the process was different.  I had to find people to pledge an amount per the prescribed distance.  The amount varied, $.10, $.15, $.25 and such.  One of my first events was 35 miles and I completed it on my Banana Seat, Monkey Handlebar, Single Speed bike.   I did another event a Swim-A-Thon, which was one hour in a pool to complete as many laps as I could.  If I remember right I did 90. No goggles and on the way home my eyes where burning and watering, from the chlorine, making it difficult to see.  I was lucky that I didn't have a crash.

As I think back with the knowledge and experience I have now, that was crazy talk.  My parents were very supportive though and it was not too difficult to find pledgers. I went door to door in the neighborhood and hit up relatives, and friends.  What was challenging was collecting after.  It took a few months. I like the prepay system we use today.

So what is my plan?  It's been a few years since I have raised fund and ridden an event.  My excuse is that we have moved around a few times in the last 3 years and some medical challenges.  But what's been nagging at me is this internal desire to get something going physically, mentally and spiritually the 3 pillars in my life.  When I'm not challenging any one of those I'm off balance.  I'm a big believer in the 12 Universal laws.  Lots of info on the net on that and I'll weave it when appropriate.  

I'm itching to train, raise funds and ride an event here in NC but I am on hold for a while. Late this October I'm having hip surgery.  The hip replacement has a cup glued into the bone that is slightly angle wrong and rubbing against my hip flex tendon.  Feels like a pulled groin.  I'm happy we have figured out the issue but it will take a bit to regain my fitness and strength.  I estimate I'll be ready for an event in early spring. 

In the mean time my plan is to find a program and start preparing.  Along the way I'll detail my progress with the hopes that others can benefit.  

So the question is, what might you want to read about?  There is a ton of information out there but what is missing?  Is the personal interaction with a coach or trainer?  I'll do my best. Maybe it's the ideas around fund raising, where to start and not spend a ton of money out of your own pocket? I've done 30 or more programs from $300 all the way up to $10,000.  It will be more challenging for some than the training. 

I'm going to start down this path and see where it takes me.  Like the Scott & BR radio contest with the CAF, I had no clue as to what it would entail but that was the challenge.  What's the event or program...? Let me do some research for things in this area and that time frame.  Come join me, follow along or find what you where you reside. 

Your job is feedback.  Respond, send me notes, ask questions, etc.  I'm hoping I can provide several tools to do this.   Lets together "Find Ways To Help Others".  One of the Universal Laws is "For every action in nature there is an equal and opposite reaction?"  What better action that positive?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and input.

Lets Ride.  



No comments: